T E A C H I N G T I P S
Peppino and the Streets of Gold
- 1. Why was the bus driver so disappointed to have a flat tire?
- 2. Where/how did Peppino get new clothes and shoes? Why?
- 3. What do you think of Nonna and her attitude towards Peppino and kids in general? How would it be to be raised by her?
- 4. Mamma has a lot of worries and complaints. How do you think Peppino feels about her problems?
- 5. Why does Peppino say he's not sure if he even has a father? What evidence does he have?
- 6. What is it about the circus that so charms Peppino? How does it affect his ideas about his own life?
- 7. What do you think about the way the circus people live? Is it better than Peppino's life? Would you like to live like that?
- 8. What does Nonno think about moving from Italy to America? What has happened in his own life to give him this attitude?
- 9. Why do you think Angelina really came to visit? What is your reason for thinking this?
- 10. What makes Mamma form her decision so quickly? Is there another reason for making a fast move?
- 11. What is the matter with Uncle Carlo? How does war affect some people? How does the family cope with him and his problem?
- 12. Think about leaving your house. What are some things you have to think about? What did Peppino and his Mother have to do to keep their property safe?
- 13. Why did Mamma feel the need to bring so many things to America? Was her worry realistic about what she would need? What did her anxiety show about her real feelings?
- 14. Don Silvestro questioned Peppino to make sure he was a good religious boy. What do you think was most important to Don Silvestro and why?
- 15. How does Signora DiNardi's ideas about life differ from Mamma's? Which one do you agree with and why?
- 16. What does Peppino think about the way the first class passengers treat him? Does this affect his attitude as he adjusts to America? Why/why not?
- 17. How does the storm at sea help Peppino gain respect from Mamma?
- 18. Peppino finds many people on the ship to ask questions of? Is this a good way for him to learn, or is he just a pest? Why do you think so?
- 19. What does Peppino think of America the first few days he was here? Does he like all of it? Some of it? Which parts does he like best?
- 20. How does Peppino react to kids who call him names and make fun of him? How do his friends help him adjust to the new place?
- 21. How does Mamma feel about going to work? Is her answer to Papa fair?
- 22. Peppino tried a lot of jobs. Which ones did he like best? Why did he work so hard?
- 23. Why did Peppino's family just take Dominic in like family? What did they think of the way he came? How did they help him adjust to America? Were they successful?
- 24. Why were the people in the suburbs afraid of Peppino, Dominic and Papa? Can people sometimes be afraid of those who look different? Did Peppino understand the situation?
- 25. How did Peppino feel about the new child, Nico?
- 26. Peppino and his friends were "free" in Chicago quite a lot, going to the lake, playing at Navy Pier, riding buses all over, doing various jobs. Do kids do that now? Why or why not? What did kids learn from their mistakes in the old days?
- 27. Do you think Peppino was afraid of Mr. Beretta? Was his boss Mr. Martino afraid? What did Mr. Martino know that Peppino didn't?
- 28. What did Mamma learn in the war that made her suspicious of Mr. Beretta and his gang?
- 29. Why do you think Dominic wanted to work for Mr. Beretta? How did those jobs make him feel?
- 30. What do you think of Peppino's decision at the end? Was he fair to his old friend? How can loyalty to an old friend pull a person in a wrong direction?